1.06.2010

Rhythm for Anna

Now that all my holiday knitting has been gifted I can finally post about it.
First up are the hat and scarf I made for my 1 1/2 yr old neice.

Rhythm Ear Cozie for Anna

The Pattern: Ear Cozies (CH-34) by Bev Galeskas Find the Pattern on Raverly
Size: Medium (1-2 years)
The Yarn: About 3/4 of a ball of Jojoland Rhythm Superwash in RS62
Needle size: 5

Started: 11/25
Finished: 11/26

A couple years ago I made a hat and scarf set for my eldest neice, so this year I thought I'd make one for my younger neice. I chose the ear cozie pattern because I love the way it covers the ears. Gotta keep those little ears toasty!

Rhythm Ear Cozie for Anna

The ear flaps are made using short rows, which took me a few tries to get right. I was using a varigeated yarn and I wanted both the earflaps to be the same color.

Rhythm Ear Cozie for Anna

In order to get the earflaps the right color I knit one earflap. Then on the setup row for the second earflap I knit 23 sts, knit wrap with st, k19 sts. Break the yarn and weave in end. Next I joined a second ball of yarn that started with similar coloring as the first and knit 14 sts to finish off the set up row. Continue to knit per instructions.

Rhythm Ear Cozie for Anna

There are two versions of this hat, pointy and rounded. I chose pointy, it makes her look like a cute little elf :)

Rhythm Ear Cozie for Anna

I chose this yarn because I was looking for something variegated and washable. This was also the right weight for the project.

I really liked this pattern and am thinking of making one for myself.

Rhythm Scarf for Anna

The Pattern: Speed Hook Scarf from Lion Brand Find the Pattern on Raverly
The Yarn: About 2.5 balls of Jojoland Rhythm Superwash in RS62 and almost 1 ball of Cascade 220 Superwash in colorway 1910
Hook size: P 11.5mm

Started: 12/23
Finished: 12/23

I started about 3 different patterns before I settled on this one. First I tried to do a striped version like Brooklyn Tweed's Noro Striped Scarf, but the color combo was looking to masculine to me. I'm not sure how purple and seafoam can look masculine, but it did.

Next I tried a brioche, but I couldn't wrap my brain around the technique.

After that I thought I'd try entralac, but it was too much work to alternate between the two yarns and I didn't have enough of the Jojoland Rhythm to use it solely. So I shelved the scarf for about a month.

At this point it was really late to be knitting a scarf. So I decided I'd go the quicker route using crochet, which remindind me of the speedhook pattern. Its the same pattern that I knit for my oldest neice. Quick and easy.
I'm not totally happy with how it looks with the hat. I feel like they don't look like a matched set.

No comments:

Post a Comment