7.13.2011

Kiki Mariko

I've basically been finished with this for over a year now. I've been waiting to post it 'cause I kept thinking that I would get around to binding the edge. But I don't think that'll ever happen :)

Kiki Mariko

The Pattern: Kiki Mariko from Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines by Kay Gardiner and Ann Meador Shayne Raverly Project Page
Size: 42.5 in x 35 in (108 cm x 89 cm) before felting
        37.5 in x 29 in (96 cm x 74 cm) after felting
The Yarn: Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky 2 balls of Chocolate and 1 ball each of Lime, Navy, Red-Purple, Burgundy, Pumpkin, Gold, and Oatmeal (108yds/99m)
Needle size: US 11 - 8.0 mm

Started: 6/6/10
Finished: 6/13/10

Kiki Mariko pre-felting

This is a colorwork project knit in the round, so you basically end up with a big tube.

Kiki Mariko pre-felting closeup

A checkerboard pattern is knit at the beginning and end of the round to form the steeked egde.

Kiki Mariko pre-felting closeup checkerboard

To felt the rug I placed it in a pillow case and put it through the hot wash cycle of my washing machine.

Kiki Mariko cutting the steek

As you cut through the middle of the checkerboard pattern your knitting will not unravel because the separate strands of yarn were fused together during the felting process.

Kiki Mariko post steeking

The steek should be cut while the rug is still wet from washing, so that you can shape the rug. It took a lot of pulling and stretching to get the rug into a even rectangle. With a little more effort I could have also straighten out the edges. But I liked the slightly wavy look, so I left them alone.

Kiki Mariko after felting closeup

The felting creates a nice tight fabric.

Kiki Mariko after felting edge closeup

This is the edge that I had meant to bind in brown using a whip stitch. I just never got around to it and after a year I don't think I ever will. And I like the checkerboard pattern just as it is anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment