2.14.2009

Bake My Valentine

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

On Thursday my office had a Valentine's Day celebration. So I donned my apron and got baking.

I had this great plan to bake these:

Vanilla Chocolate Wafers from MarthaStewart.com

Vanilla Chocolate Wafers from MarthaStewart.com. And instead of leaving the vanilla side white I would add a little red food coloring so that they'd be pink! So cute!

Hmmm...I didn't take into account that as the cookies bake the edges brown up, making my pretty pink and brown cookies brownish-pink and brown cookies:

marn's brownish-pink and brown cookies

Note the wonky shape the two colors create, definately not like Martha's. Oh and I burned half of them to cinders. They were so horrible not even the pigeons would go near them. Okay I didn't really try giving the to the pigeons. But I thought about it.

I was also really excited to make these:

Raspberry Almond Financiers from MarthaStewart.com



Raspberry Almond Financiers! I'd never made a financier before and didn't know exactly what one was, but the picture and description left me believing that they would be cupcake-ish.


"honeyed, cakey interior beneath a crisp, crackly surface"
-description from MarthaStewart.com



"fin·an·cier
A French pastry. The financier is a light tea cake, similar to sponge cake, and usually contains almond flour, crushed or ground almonds, or almond flavoring."

-definition from Wikipedia


Huh.

Mine turned out like this:
marn's raspberry almond muffins

More of a muffin than a cupcake. The tops were rounded not flat like in the photo. And I couldn't get the raspberry to look like Martha's! These were the best looking out of the batch.

Well at least everything tasted good.

**note: all recipes are from MarthaStewart.com. I am in no way associated with Martha Stewart, I'm just a fan of the recipes.**

No comments:

Post a Comment